10/1/13

National Down Syndrome Awareness Month


October is Down Syndrome Awareness month.  While I am not naive enough to believe I can blog every day of this month, I would like to kick off the month with a few words about down syndrome.

Truth #1:  Down syndrome did not end our life.

Do we have more therapy appointments then our friends?  Sure.  But that's just our new normal.  Many of Bunny's therapists have become my good friends and we have met many wonderful people in the process.  It has opened my eyes to a whole new group of beautiful children and I am forever grateful.

Truth #2:  You will love this child until your heart bursts!!

I have heard more than once that parents have a hard time connecting with their baby with down syndrome at first.  This was the case for me.  Now I feel an overwhelming love for him.  This boy brings so much joy to my heart!!  He plays hard to get...he is still holding out on saying "mama" but I know he loves me too.

Truth #3:  You will see the beauty in Down Syndrome

I never thought I would be typing those words.  My favorite kiddos on Instagram are Bunny's buddies with an extra chromosome.  I don't feel sorry for them or think of them as unfortunate.  I think they are some of the most beautiful kiddos and adults around!  I would have missed this change of heart had it not been for my son being born. 

So there are just some things to think about whether you are a new parent of a baby with down syndrome or even if you have no children with down syndrome. 

This year we are doing our first Buddy Walk.  I am so excited to celebrate with our community.  I never thought I would get there but I am.  We have lots of friends and family coming out to support my boy and it makes me happy that through our family other hearts can be changed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!