10/23/13

Buddy Walk!

This year was our first Buddy Walk.  Well, our first Buddy Walk with an official team anyway.  Daddy and I went when the boys were tiny just to check it out and meet people but we didn't have a team. I wasn't ready that year to "celebrate" Down syndrome.  I was so nervous before the event because I was afraid I would feel overwhelmed or see things I wasn't ready to see.

Some of our team. 

 But as we all know, I have changed a lot in the last two years and this year I was ready to celebrate!  In fact as we started the walk I immediately teared up and started feeling sobby because I was so proud of our family and the fact that we WERE here to celebrate. 

My kids were super excited about the Buddy Walk and Buddy can tell you all about the walk and how it is for Bunny and people that look like Bunny.  (The boy can pick out people with Down syndrome.  He says "They are like Bunny!")  Look at those proud sisters holding up signs!

And speaking of sisters, mine drove 6 hours after working all day Friday just so she could support her nephew!!  #1 Auntie. 

Of course my parents were there too.  I don't think I could have stopped it if I tried....not that I would!  And to show his appreciation, Bunny started signing and saying "Grandma" on Saturday.  We are still working on "Pa". 

I wanted a football theme because Bunny is obsessed with football.  When football is on the tv you better not even think of changing the channel because Bunny will throw a FIT!  Of course mommy will never allow him or Buddy to play football but we can crush those dreams later.

This is my friend from high school.  We have seen each other a few times over the years and I was so touched when she joined our team.  Her daughter came too and it was so fun to see them! 

This is Bunny's favorite teacher.  She was our EI for a year until he started preschool.  We still keep in touch because I love her (and so does Bunny!) and she said "of course" when I asked her if she wanted to walk with us.  We just adore her!!

Daddy's brother also walked with us.  I told him he was #1 uncle.  What single guy gets up early on a Saturday morning to walk in support of his nephew?  #1 Uncle does of course!!

My friend who also has a baby with Down syndrome also walked with us. Her son is still pretty young so when I told her about the Buddy Walk I asked if she wanted to join our team or walk as their own group.  Had I known anyone that first year I would have loved to join their team so it wasn't just Daddy and I walking with the boys.  They joined our team and I loved having them.  I adore her son (and her other kids) and it's fun to share an event like this with someone who gets it! 

Someone has mastered the fake smile
Speaking of getting it, I am not sure how much Bunny got about this event.  All his favorite people were in one place but I'm sure he didn't realize the whole day was in his honor.  I hope as he gets older and our team gets bigger and bigger that he will understand how much we all love him!!




It was a wonderful first real experience.  There was so much love everywhere and we just had a great time.  It is definitely something we will be doing from now on.  Oh and for being one of the first teams to raise $2000 we won an ipad.  Not to shabby for first timers huh? 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been at the computer as often since I got my iPhone, so I hadn't checked in a few days to see if you had posted about the walk. Love the pictures! Love everything about it, actually. You had a really cool team, good support, fun walking, etc. Yea!!!! thanks for posting!
    love, Aunt Ruth

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!