12/12/12

Meeting Day

Yesterday was Bunny's 6 month IFSP. For those of you not "in the know", this is where we meet with Bunny's social worker and therapists and look at the goals we set for him 6 months ago and see where he needs more help and where he is on track. Then we set goals we would like to see him doing by the next 6 months.

Bunny and I and his 3 therapists and his social worker crowded into a conference room at the OT center where he receives therapy.  I sat down and was handed my copy of the IFSP and my heart leaped for a minute as I thought "What am I doing here?  I am in a room full of therapists staring at the word DOWN SYNDROME.  How if this my life?" 



It wasn't a sad moment.  It just catches me off guard and takes my breath away at times.  I think it is because even with the therapies and doctor appointments and mean momma bear calls to the insurance company our life seems pretty normal to me.  I don't dwell on the words down syndrome or even think about them and yet it is part of our life.  And sometimes that makes me catch my breath for a minute because it was something I never saw coming.

That truly was just a moment of the meeting...a fleeting thought.  The rest of the meeting I mostly looked around and felt blessed because we have such a great team in place for Bunny.  Our social worker is loving and seems to truly have Bunny's best interest at heart.  I feel like his therapists are my friends and that they truly care about my son and what happens to him.  They WANT him to succeed.

In most of the areas, Bunny scored between 8 and 13 months.  He was 20 months at the time of testing.  I know that could be devastating to some but I knew exactly where he would score because he has a twin brother.  His highest score was in cognition where he was at 17 months.  His teachers all agreed that his willfulness is a factor in every score because if he decided he didn't want to do something on testing day we weren't going to change his mind.

In our state we are maxed out at 3 services a week so we will just continue on as we have been going except for the teachers were all brainstorming ways to change his environment so he realizes that he HAS to work.  I have no issue with that!

It's strange for me to think that we just have 1 or 2 more of these meetings before we transfer to the school district.  I feel like I am just getting the hang of it and pretty soon things will change on me again!

1 comment:

  1. He is doing great! Ben turns 2 next month so we, of course, have our meeting to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!