3/23/12

Trying Something New

As I said in my last post, I am trying to broaden my horizons in the kitchen.  I was on a good healthy path before we had the babesters and I have been slowly making my way back ever since.  My goal is to get rid of all processed food in the house.  It has been quite a struggle for me this year because in order to make healthy food you need time and I am short on that. 

Another goal is to get Baby out of her picky rut.  The girl wants to live on cheese and strawberries.  She is my helper for most of these and her involvement definitely motivates her to try  new things!

Here are some recipes we tried this week.  As I've said before, this will never be a cooking blog because let's face it....I have no skills.  BUT the good news is that if I can make these then my guess is that anyone can!

Homemade Fruit Roll Ups using Frozen Berries - I had a bunch of frozen berries from our failed smoothie experiment (Baby doesn't like "crunchies" in her drinks).  They turned out good!  Boogie likes them but Baby wouldn't eat them.  I'm going to try mango next to see if she will eat that. 

Pumpkin Spiced Almond Butter - A HUGE success.  Unfortunately, Boogie can't take it in her lunch because of allergies in her class but it is perfect with sliced apples for an after school snack.  I think it would be delicious with pancakes too.  I might have eaten it with a spoon last night.  Yummy!!  I used coconut oil instead of canola and my butter is pretty thick but it doesn't bother us at all.

Faux Mashed Potatoes - I was really excited about this one because Baby would never touch cauliflower on her own and Daddy is a huge fan of mashed potatoes.  They were DELICIOUS!  The Babesters even got to enjoy this one and Bunny especially enjoyed them.  My boy loves flavor!  Baby liked them at first but we had a dinner fiasco and she ended up throwing up from overdramatic gagging so I am not sure I can convince her to eat them again.  Bummer!  Daddy says I can make these instead of regular mashed potatoes.  That is HUGE!

Chia Seed Pudding - I was really hoping the girls would like this but they couldn't get past the crunchy seeds.  I want to play around with it more and perhaps get white seeds so they won't see them.  The good news is that Daddy LOVED it and even made some on his own last night and the babesters also really enjoyed it (minus stevia for them).  Antioxidants are good for Bunny so win-win!

Spaghetti Squash Gratin - Daddy and I are already fans of spaghetti squash so this one I knew would be a success for us.  It was SO delicious!  I could have ate the whole thing myself!  Boogie devoured it but Baby wouldn't eat it.  I know that was all mental for her because it didn't taste like squash or veggies at all.  That is a downfall to having her help me.  She knows what is in everything.  We had this with the roast chicken last night and it was even good mixed together.  I did double the cheese.  The boys also loved this!

I made a few other new things but these were my favorites.  The only downside to all of this is the dishes!!  So many dirty dishes.  I know it is well worth it but I am very tired of washing and putting away dishes!

My major goal for next week is homemade coconut yogurt.  I hope I can pull it off!  I have a few recipes pinned and I am determined.  Coconut yogurt is WAY too expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!