9/29/11

Scaling Back the Commitments

Yesterday I had a great day.  I was in a good mood.  I felt energized.  I did not go Kate Gosselin on my kids.

I realized today that the reason was because I had no "must dos" or playdates or appointments or anything on the schedule.  I just got to hang out with my kids.  I got to work with both the boys AND enjoy them.  That's not to say that everything went perfectly all day.  It is never going to but I was better prepared to handle the "Not so Norman Rockwell" times because I was not stressed out.

I've been thinking for a few weeks that I need to "do less".  There are things I cannot cut out like Bunny's therapy or doctor's appointments.  What I can do is make sure that on those days I do not schedule anything else.  And make sure I have commitment free days in between. 

This is actually hard for me because I like to be on the go.  I like to have things to do every day.  A full calendar makes me happy.  BUT  it also makes me crazy.  When I am at home I can sneak in some baby stretches and clean some dishes here and there.  I can also do this:

"Baking" is Baby's new favorite thing to do.  It's our special time together and I think it's really important seeing as she is now my middle child.  She has been getting up early every morning to make Daddy's lunch for him too.  I think that is so cute and I think it is also her way of sneaking in some one on one time with him. 

So for now we are going to lay low.  I'm going to "underschedule".  I think we all benefit.

3 comments:

  1. i love this! i completely agree! this is the time of life that you need to be "going more slowly." i struggle with it too but it definitely makes for a happpier everyone when we chill out :) (thanks for hanging out with us the other day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wise! The less places you have to go, the less pressure on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! I can't believe I just read this...I have done the exact same thing for about 3 weeks now and its amazing how much better I feel! Much much less "crazed" and I am not even feeling guilty about because Carter seems calmer too. Finally looking at the BIG picture of life :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!