8/17/11

A Chip off the Old Block

In my family, birthdays are a big deal.  Singing phone calls are expected and the night before is the birthday boy or girl's "Eve".  (I came up with that one and everyone happily adopted it. I'm kind of a birthday genius)  

I have always made a big deal of my children's birthdays but last year poor baby bear happened to have the bad luck of having a birthday a few weeks after we moved and right in the middle of my exhausting first trimester.  This year I wanted to make it right.

The day started with her choice of sugar cereal that she picked out on Baby Bear's Eve.  She happened to pick Lucky Charms which is MY favorite chemically laden but delicious cereal.  While I was still sleeping, the girls got out the cereal, poured themselves bowls and then strategically ate every last marshmallow out of the whole box.  I'm sure I would have done the same thing in their position (or when I was 36 weeks pregnant).  I tried not to get too mad.

Baby Bear had a play date yesterday so while she was gone Boogie Bear and I decorated furiously.  The upside to having no money for living room furniture is that you can turn it into a big party room quite easily.  We hung streamers, blew up balloons, wrapped presents, made a picnic area for dinner and set out hats and blowers.  The look on her face when she came home was so cute.  I hope it made up for last year's dud party.
The rest of the day she ran around singing happy birthday to herself and saying "I'm finally 4 years old!"  That she gets from her mother for sure.  Pretty much anyone in a 25 mile radius knows when it's my birthday.  We may have made a joint call to Grandma at some point in the afternoon inquiring why she had not called to sing at us yet.  There are expectations to be met people!!!
We had lots of fun in the party room yesterday.  Bunny bear slept through the good lighting which is why he is not in the pictures.  It makes me teary eyed to think of the loud, joyous parties we will have in the future as the babies get older.  We won't ever need to invite extra people! ha

When daddy got home we had a very fancy quesadilla and strawberry picnic in the party room.  We all told Baby Bear the things we loved about her....her spunk, her willingness to help, her sweetness, etc.  We should all hear nice things about ourselves on our birthday.
 That eye sore of a stuffed animal was her favorite present.  I sent daddy on a mission last week to the toy store so we could get an idea of what she wanted.  She tends to just like whatever Boogie Bear likes but I wanted to get her things for HER.  After halfheartedly pointing out toys that she liked at the store they ended the trip with an errand at Costco where she spotted this bear and daddy said her eyes popped out of her head and she said "THAT"S WHAT I WANT!!!"

I won't get into the whole "why stuffed animals are nothing but a vehicle for lice" theory but needless to say I was not thrilled but Boogie bear insisted that she wanted to get her the bear.  Baby bear was so happy.  I'm going to have a hard time sneaking that one to Goodwill when the time comes!  Not that I would ever do such a thing...
The celebration ended with the perfect cake.  Chocolate and strawbeddies.  My baby's favorite.  I was pretty excited when we spotted that cake since I knew it was my ticket out of the kitchen.  Of course I would have happily made her a cake but it is definitely not my talent.  Look at my girl.  I love her so much!

This morning I overheard her asking "When will it be my birthday again?"  The countdown begins again....



1 comment:

  1. Love it! What a great birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!